On 18 January 2024, the Synaxis of Bishops of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia took place in Sydney under the Chairmanship of His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia.
During the Synaxis, His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia conveyed the warm wishes and blessings of His All-Holiness our Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to Their Graces the Holy Hierarchs, and informed them about current issues and initiatives of the Mother Church and the Holy Archdiocese. Then, all the topics of the daily agenda were studied and the following is announced to the holy clergy and the Christ-loving flock of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia:
1. The venerable Head of Orthodoxy, Our Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, joined by His honourable Entourage, will honour with His presence and seal the celebrations for the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia. His All-Holiness will arrive on the fifth continent, specifically at Sydney’s Kingsford Smith International Airport, on Friday, 4 October 2024, and will depart on Saturday, 19 October 2024.
The official reception of the Ecumenical Patriarch will take place on Saturday, 5 October 2024, on Cleveland Street, from where clergy and laity will accompany His All-Holiness to the Cathedral of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Sydney, where the official Doxology Service will be celebrated.
During the blessed stay of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Australia, two Divine Liturgies will be held. First, in Sydney, on Sunday, 6 October 2024, specifically at the International Convention Centre (ICC) and secondly in Melbourne, on Sunday, 13 October 2024, at the Margaret Court Arena.
The Ecumenical Patriarch’s visit to Australia will officially be distinguished as:
THE APOSTOLIC VISIT
OF ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW TO AUSTRALIA
100 YEARS OF THE HOLY ARCHDIOCESE OF AUSTRALIA
Details of the program of His All-Holiness’ visit to Australia will be announced in due course.
2. During the current year 2024, and on the occasion of the 100 year anniversary since the establishment of the Archdiocese, local Youth Conferences will be held in the following cities under the general theme: “We are ready for the future – 100 years of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia”. The Conferences will be held as follows, in chronological order:
– Melbourne, Saturday 27 January
– Sydney, Saturday 8 June
– Perth, Saturday 13 July
– Adelaide, Saturday 20 July
– Brisbane, Saturday 27 July
– Canberra, Saturday 7 September
– Northcote, Saturday 21 September
3. Their Graces the Bishops, on the occasion of the Patronal Feast Day of His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia, expressed their gratitude and respect towards him, and also thanked him for his pastorate distinguished by love and unity, and wished him many years, conveying at the same time the wishes of the clergy and the laity of the local Archdiocesan Districts.